When you buy a US Series I Savings Bond (I Bond) during May through October 2022 your initial 6-month rate will be 9.62%
Check out our resources below for more in-depth articles and research, but here’s what that 9.62% really means.
- You have to hold the bond for at least 12 months
- You’ll get 9.62% annualized, but only for 6 months
- Your $100 I bond purchase would turn into $104.81 6 months later
- You will not know your 6-month renewal rate until November 2022
- Although keep coming back to our website, we’ll be tracking it every month and expect to get the inflation numbers from the US Government on October 13th
- We know the formula and will publish our prediction for the November I bond inflation on October 13th
- All you know when you buy the I Bond is you’ll get 4.81% over the 12-months that you have to hold it.
- Although you’ll probably get more, only 2 times out of 49 has the rate been 0.0%
- If you cash out the I bond within the first 5 years you will forfeit the prior 3 months of interest as a penalty.
Enjoy the quick update! Please reach out with any questions and check out our resources below:
- Our In-depth article and monthly projections on I Bonds
- This article has 9 steps at the end on how to buy I bonds directly through the US Treasury
- Free Retirement Video Course: Your 5 Step Retirement Income Plan
- Podcast: US Series I Savings Bonds Simplified featuring David Enna from TipsWatch.com
- Treasury Direct: Series I Savings Bonds
- 3 Things You Should Know Before Choosing A Financial Advisor
- 6 Questions Retirees Aren’t Asking But Should Be
- Subscribe to Retirement Revealed on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to Retirement Revealed on Apple Podcasts
Connect With Jeremy Keil:
Listen to Retirement Revealed on:
Download your retirement planning guide now.